The Modi government is planning to use the 1 lakh vacant housing units under the Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM) and the Rajiv Awas Yojana under the scheme.
According to a news website, the scheme was introduced under this reasonably priced rental housing scheme during the tenure of the UPA government. Now the Modi government is going to use it for migrant workers.
The scheme has been announced by Finance Minister Nirmala Sitaram on May 14.
Benefits will be available based on different categories
- According to a senior official, under the prepared draft, the ministry will fix a rent of Rs 1,000 to Rs 3,000 per month for various categories.
- This will include construction workers, labor and people working in the unorganized sector. Students will also be covered in the scheme.
- No decision has yet been made on the merits of the category.
Proposed to build 75 thousand units in different cities
- A rental housing project will be built on PPP model under the rental housing scheme. According to sources, the project will also be built under VGB viability gap funding.
- It will be funded under the Prime Minister’s Urban Housing i.e. PMAY Urban Scheme. In the first phase, it is proposed to build about 75,000 units in different cities.